The feng shui hype has died down in the last few years, but if you're into cultivating creativity in your casa, chances are you recognize that the spaces we reside in affect our general well-being. The colors you choose, how much light enters your bedroom, and the general ability to flow through your home are all concepts that affect our ability to live comfortably and happily. Above all else, the goal of feng shui is to create a harmonious living environment that promotes health and invites happiness. And I don't know about you, but I could use as much of that as I can get. The idea of feng shui may sound a little far out, but this ancient Chinese art of placement does not have to feel so foreign. Here are five easy feng shui fixes that will allow you to harness some good energy, breathe in, and zen out.
- Clear out the crazy clutter. Clutter translates to unfinished business. The last thing you should feel is overwhelmed when you enter your home, or sanctuary, at the end of a long day. Get and stay organized. This means everywhere.
- Let the light shine. There should be enough light sources to illuminate all areas of a living space as needed. Natural light is ideal, but all types of light are considered energy-activating, and when space is left in the dark it's thought to represent neglected areas of your life.
- Bedrooms are for relaxation. Not work. Treat yourself with delicious fabrics and surround yourself with scents you love. Your bedroom is not a place for catching up on TV or hanging out on your computer. When you enter your bedroom, you should have a calming experience. Limiting your activities in the bedroom will make it way more intimate.
- Make sure your bed is in a commanding position. The placement of your bedroom is not just a stylistic choice; it can also affect the chi in your room. The golden rule of bed placement in feng shui? You want to make sure you're facing the door when you're in bed. It can be placed across the room with your headboard against the wall, or even diagonally, but you want to have a feeling of peace and safety in your bed. This alignment will help you achieve that.
- Fresh flowers and plants keep energy awake and moving. You don't have to import Chinese bamboo in order to feng shui your spot. Bringing just a little green into your home will connect you to nature and warm things up. It's also a great idea to put some plants in a corner of a room; this technique is said to keep energy flowing in typically stagnant spots.